Can we pretend that airplanes
In the night sky
Are like shooting stars
I could really use a wish right now
Nine days ago, I got an e-mail inviting me to attend and blog about The Orange Conference. This week.
It was the epitome of last-minute, but faced with a free trip, learning about the latest in ministry and hanging out with my Atlanta friends? Well, I couldn’t turn it down!
I had to coordinate logistics right away – childcare for Annalyn, a place for me to stay, the most conveniently scheduled flight. And then it was time to focus on Easter: choir practice, Good Friday services and one long Sunday.
But now? Late on Monday night before I leave for four days on Wednesday, I’m looking around my house in its post-Easter state and wishing. Wishing for more time, for better organization, for a live-in maid. A few more wishes . . .
1. I wish I had put Christine’s cleaning schedule to use and was leaving a respectably clean house for my husband.
2. I wish I wasn’t starting Week 4 of my 5K training – because running for five minutes at a time, without stopping is stressful enough without figuring out how to do it while I’m out of town.
3. I wish I was organized enough to do once a month cooking like Tricia. Or, at this point, I’d take once a week cooking. Whatever would stock the fridge with meals for my husband.
4. I wish I’d made room in my budget for new luggage, because even with my direct flight to Atlanta (score!), I’m not sure my old purple suitcase is going to make it without completely splitting open.
5. I wish I wasn’t so bummed to be missing Steve Carell’s last episode of The Office and the Royal Wedding. Good thing my trusty VCR will do the trick! (And, really, would I be getting up before the crack of dawn to watch the wedding, even if I were at home? Uh, NO.)
6. I wish my dishwasher unloaded itself and my laundry folded itself. And actually, I pretty much wish this every day of my life.
7. I wish I could pack little girl snuggles and hugs and I love yous in that purple suitcase.
8. I wish I’d been a little more on the ball lately with my writing. It would be awfully handy to have blog posts ready to roll right about now.
9. I wish I knew if I’m really supposed to wear orange to this thing…
10. I wish I could find an official video of Airplanes with the Eminem verse. But it seems it’s not meant to be. (Beware: This song has a great message but strong language. In case you happen to go searching for this mythical video. And in which case, please ignore the language and send me that link!)
But no matter how many silly or serious wishes I have today, I’m super excited to blog for Orange this week. I can’t wait to share with you the great things I learn and – my favorite part of every conference – the great people I meet!
What are you wishing for today?
This post will be linked to Top Ten Tuesday at OhAmanda.