When we first talked to the contractor who refinished our hardwood floors, he said that thing that people say when you’re making improvements to your house in order to sell it: “You’re going to wish you’d done this years ago!”
Well, our floors look fantastic, but I’m not sad we didn’t drop the dough to get them refinished before now. Because scratched and peeling or not, hardwood floors are a pain in the neck and I just wish for carpet. (Hardwood lovers, just hush. I don’t like sweeping, and that’s ALL I DO with these floors!)
(Except for before I took this picture. Because, yeah, I see all that stuff, too.)
We’ve made a lot of repairs in the past couple of months, and our house looks great (or, at least, as great as it’s going to look). And while I truly don’t regret waiting to do all this until now, I will admit that my fixed up and shined up house IS making me happy these days.
Oh, one thing I wish we’d done years ago? Changed the mirror in our hallway! For years we’ve had a shelf with votive candles hanging in the hallway, with a small-ish mirror hung above it. In hindsight I guess it was kind of dumb. Mark was constantly catching his shoulder on the shelf, and we couldn’t even see into the mirror.
Enter our new, big mirror in that same spot. (To cover up the patched and painted holes from that shelf and mirror that still showed up…majorly…) I LOVE IT.
That’s not the only thing about my new-and-improved house that I’m loving right now. I’ve got a list of 10 more things!
1. Our patio. Specifically, I love the newly spray painted chairs, pillows and marigolds–all courtesy of my mom!
2. Clean dressers. I swear, my house wasn’t all THAT cluttered. But when we took ev-er-y-thing off our dressers? Well, they look fantastic. And so clean!
3. A new bedspread. Several years ago, we decided to redo our bedroom. I don’t remember exactly what my original vision was (I’m lying. I totally remember. But I try not to think of it…often…), but after a series of, um, DISCUSSIONS and compromises, we arrived at bright green walls, dark red black-out curtains and a lovely quilt…that didn’t have one bit of green in it.
You guys. Don’t listen to my husband. IT WAS AWFUL. It didn’t match, it didn’t make sense, it just…didn’t. I knew that listing the house was my chance to change it, but painting is a pain. Instead, I found a bedspread that has both red and green in it. And while it’s not that great of a bedspread (it’s cheap…both in that I didn’t pay much for it and that it’s got a whole lot of polyester going on), the fact that my room finally, kind of matches? Makes me happy.
4. Color-organized closets. Yep. I organized our closets by color. AND THEY LOOK AMAZING. They’re still super small and, though I weeded out a TON of clothes, pretty jam packed. But at least they’re beautifully organized now. LIKE A RAINBOW. Boom.
5. Organized craft closet. Speaking of organized…my craft closet (formally known as the black hole where all the junk got stuffed) is all organized up. I realize this photo might not impress you, but I honestly go back to look at it at least once a day. IT WAS THAT BIG OF A MESS BEFORE! As a bonus, Annalyn loves it because I gave her her own craft bin.
6. Clean bathroom. Now, granted, I need to clean it again. But thanks to some MAJOR deep cleaning…the kind that had not been done in, um, YEARS…my bathroom looks awesome. Because we don’t have an exhaust fan, it took some major scrubbing (dust + humidity = grime), but the end result is totally worth it!
7. The little things. I took this decluttering and staging thing seriously, okay? So our house kinda, sorta looks like…well…NOBODY LIVES HERE. So the spots where I’ve got something pretty and a little bit personal out? They make me happy.
8. Our new welcome mat. I’ve had a great welcome mat for a while (this one from Dayspring), but it was a little faded. So I got a really colorful one from Target. It’s cute. And it makes me happy.
9. A pretty vase. This is probably my favorite thing in my house right now. Possibly because it took me about FOREVER to get the flowers just right. But no matter why, I love this vase with these flowers on my table.
10. A finished to-do list. Okay, fine. FINE. Our to-do list isn’t QUITE finished. But for the most part? The items not crossed off yet fall into Mark’s column…not mine.
Except for today. Because our agent is bringing a bunch of other real estate agents to look at our house this morning and OH MY WORD, the cleaning frenzy is ON this morning! (You want to know the worst part about cleaning? THAT I HAVE TO KEEP DOING IT AGAIN AND AGAIN AND…!!!)
So, this afternoon, number ten will make me happy. Now, though? I’ve got some shiny hardwood floors to sweep!
What about YOUR house is making you happy today?
This post will be linked up to Top Ten Tuesday at Many Little Blessings.