Gimme three steps towards the door…

Fitting More Steps in My Day
As I was moving some things around my calendar last week, my heart sank as I noticed something I’d added a few months ago. The June 10 square on my calendar says the most awful thing: “Start training for 5K.”

What?! When – and WHY – did I think attempting another 5K was a good idea?!?

Well, even if I don’t remember when this particular madness occurred, I vaguely remember thinking:

a) I’d love to participate in the Kansas City Marathon.
b) It’s in October, so it won’t be hot.
c) Its charity of choice is The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.
d) Maybe if I give myself 18 weeks to go through the 9-week Couch to 5K program, it’ll work this time.

So, in just over a month, I’ve got to get back on my treadmill and get back to work.

Which, as horrifying as that is, is also a bit of a relief, too.

See, I recently received a Fitbit to try out from Verizon Wireless. Since I’ve been wearing it [almost] every day, I’ve been – unsurprisingly – bummed out to see how few steps I actually take each day. And I’ve been wondering how anyone possibly hits the recommended number of daily steps.

Do you even KNOW how many steps we’re supposed to take each day? 10,000. TEN THOUSAND! Now, maybe you walk that much. But as someone who works online (and, FINE, likes to watch the television), I have yet to get anything close to that. As a matter of fact, on a couple days (FINE, on MORE THAN A COUPLE DAYS) I didn’t even hit 2,000 steps.

OUCH.

So, wearing a pedometer plus deciding I should attempt to run another 5K equals MORE STEPS FOR ME. At least that’s the goal. I’ll let you know how I’m doing in a few weeks. Promise. (For real.)

Have you heard of the Fitbit? I’d heard my friends at Weight Watchers talk about them but hadn’t seen one – much less bought one – for myself. Now that I’m wearing one I wonder why I waited so long!

The Fitbit Zip Wireless Activity Tracker is a pedometer, but it also tracks your calories burned and distance traveled. AND it syncs wirelessly with my computer and my phone. So if I want to look at charts and graphs and whatnot, telling me how many more steps I should be taking each day, it’s there. You can wear it anywhere on your body, but it’s small enough that I actually just clip it on my bra.

(When I remember. Because, like I said, I have forgotten to wear it a couple days.)

Until I start my “formal 5K training,” I’m still trying to up my steps a lot. My first goal is 5,000 steps a day – that’s still progress, okay?! So far I’m doing my Walk Away the Pounds video, though not every day. And I’m going to start following all those annoying tips for walking more that I’ve heard over and over:

• park farther away,
  • take an extra trip around the grocery store,
  • march in place or pace when doing everyday tasks,
  • take the long way around . . . anywhere.

I hope to even start an after-dinner walk with my family once a week.

That’s about all I’ve got, though – and given how low my daily steps number is now, I’ve got a lot of work to do. Meeting my immediate goal of 5,000 steps – not to mention my eventual goal of 10,000 steps – is going to require a lot more than parking in the back forty. So, let’s talk walking.

How do YOU add more walking and more steps to your daily routine?

Verizon Wireless gave me a Fitbit to use this year, but all opinions and lazy habits are my own.

Photo source

Comments

1. Suzanne says:

My co-worker and I decided to begin walking the 2 mile track at the local park after work two days a week, we are starting today!

• Mary @ Giving Up on Perfect says:

That’s great, Suzanne! Good for you! (I’m planning to take an outdoor walk once this week, and do my Walk Away the Pounds video at least twice.) :)

2. I doubt some days I even get 2,000 steps in so I am zero help. I’d guess getting the recommended 30 minute walk in every day would help. I’ve often thought of abandoning my car in the pick-up line at school and walking during that time but I’d much rather read or catch up on social media :) See? Zero help. I’m interested in the responses here!

• Mary @ Giving Up on Perfect says:

So far, nobody has responded with a magic pill to add steps to our days…I suspect they’re all just going to say “walk more.” ;)

• Mary @ Giving Up on Perfect says:

To be clear, I realize YOU might not be wanting a magic pill or easy way out. But I ALWAYS am. Hahaha!

3. I realize this is going to sound like misery to a lot of people, but I get up before 6am each morning so I can get 2-3 miles in around our neighborhood before my husband has to leave for work. I’ve been doing this 5-6 days/week for two years now, so it’s definitely habit. :)

• Mary @ Giving Up on Perfect says:

Actually, it sounds great, JL. I mean, I hate running…and getting up early…but I bet you hold onto your sanity and your health with this habit. So smart. Maybe someday for me…

4. 5K everyday – I am for 20 miles per week. Sometimes I walk 2 miles in a day, sometimes 7. I am a single mother with three children who are too young to stay home alone….so, I walk up and down our short block, keeping the house in site or we all go to a track where they have to stay in the middle and I walk/jog laps around them. They actually complain, but then are sad to leave. We bring dump trucks, books, bubbles, etc. I also try to get each one to walk with me some (one lap or 1k) and the one-on-one time is great. I don’t have room for a treadmill and no money for a gym membership. I work in an office and like to watch, tv, too. So, if I don’t make myself get out there, I start to spread out there! My nerdy self would LOVE the Fitbit!

• Mary @ Giving Up on Perfect says:

That’s awesome! I love how you’re involving your kids. And yeah, if you’re always trying to walk/jog, then I bet you would love a Fitbit to show you just how much you’re doing and getting out of it!

5. Choosing inconvenience is my number one… If I am putting things away, I do them one at a time rather than grabbing them all up and trying to make it all in one trip. Sure it seems like a lot of extra time, but it isn’t really… but it IS a lot of extra steps. I also always park far away and choose to make an extra lap or two in the grocery store. But in the end, most days I have to jump on the elliptical for a few minutes to break 5K and always have to in order to break 10K. (But don’t let me fool you… I have my share of 2K days… I have to work at 5K and push it hard for 10K.) Now while at Disney we easily did 20K a day without blinking… so now my long term weight loss plan involves moving to Disney, because it is the only way I walk that much naturally. Makes sense, right?

• Mary @ Giving Up on Perfect says:

Yes! Moving to Disney is an excellent plan!! :) (But yeah…I’m going to have to cozy up to the treadmill to make this thing work.)

• Moving to Disney sounds like the BEST plan so far! LOL

My doctor told me I should be walking 16,000 steps a day. I went to the local women’s show last week and found that as I walked there for 3-4 hours, I was still only around 12,000 (about 3.5 miles). So, I have concluded that I MUST shop for 4-5 hours every single day in order for me to get my steps in!! LOL What a horrible thing, eh?

Ok so now I’m looking up 16,000 steps… that’s more than a 10k. I told him I walk about a mile several times a week. Maybe I heard him wrong??

• Mary @ Giving Up on Perfect says:

Oh my. 16,000 steps is a crazy high amount! You will be SO healthy if you start doing that!! (Although your wallet might not be if you spend it shopping, haha!)

6. I got a Fitbit a few months ago (I think anyway, time and I really don’t get along, as in I have no clue when things really happened) and I’m sad to admit that I’ve only hit 10,000 a handful of times. Did you know you can add your friends that also have Fitbits and kind of compete with each other. At that time only one friend showed up for me and she hasn’t ever accepted my fitbit friend request or whatever you call it, so I’m always #1, nobody to compete with. I do have one other friend that I know has one, but she didn’t show up for some reason and I don’t know that she’s using it right now anyway. I know she washed and ruined one and bought a second one. So, which version did you buy. I have the One and I’ve been happy with it. I wear it on my bra, so when nobody is looking I look down my shirt to see how I’m doing. LOL! Several years ago I bought a BodyBugg, like what they have on Biggest Loser, but paying the monthly service was stinky and it caused rashes on my arm, big waist of money for me. 10,000 steps really is a lot – there have been days that I’ve done a 5K (and then been lazy the rest of the day) and been surprised that even my 5K wasn’t enough to get me there. Anyway, we should be Fitbit friends!

• Mary @ Giving Up on Perfect says:

Yeah – it’s a LOT of steps! Just think how healthy we’d all be if we just did that one thing…!!

7. Oh, I didn’t read carefully, looks like you have the Zip and you didn’t have to buy it, nifty!

8. Get a dog! You’ll get TONS of exercise walking it around the block to do it’s “business”! Plus a walking buddy.

• Mary @ Giving Up on Perfect says:

Ohhh, well…yeah. This is a great idea. But I am absolutely a “not a dog” person. Sad.

9. My husband just got a Fitbit, and he loves it! He tracks his steps for an incentive program through his health insurance, and the Fitbit syncs with it so he doesn’t have to remember to download his steps every day. Now I want one, too!

• Mary @ Giving Up on Perfect says:

Oooh, I’d REALLY be motivated if I had a program like that with our insurance!

10. chelleybutton says:

I think I’d have to give up heels to meet that goal. Not that I’ve ever tried. And I suppose giving up heels could be a good thing too. But then I’d have to hem my pants, and that would cost money. Best of luck!