Roots. {Five Minute Friday}

Today I’m participating in Lisa-Jo’s Five Minute Friday. Every week she gives us one word as a prompt. Then we write – but only for five minutes. People, that is not very long at all! And posting what is essentially a rambling internal debate is a little [LOT] scary. But I’m doing it anyway. Here goes.

Why is it that when I read the word “roots,” John Denver filled my head? “Country Road, Take Me Home” is pretty much the last song I want to have winding its way through my brain this rmoning. (Honestly, after the second day in a row of waking up to a small person throwing a tantrum, the only music that appeals is hard, edgy and very much not John Denver.)

Still, this free writing exercise is supposed to pull out our gut reactions and give us a tiny space to examine them. I think. Although I also suspect I’m not supposed to focus on the rules as much as the words – but is that just another rule? I don’t know. But I think I might be stalling. (A pretty smart tactic, given the small time frame of this process, wouldn’t you say?)

For months, my blog to-do list (yes, I have one, don’t you?) has included the words, “Where I’m From.” I’ve read so many beautiful posts based on that prompt, and my heart longs to write poetry words that tell the truth of my own roots.

And yet, I haven’t done it. Why? Why am I afraid to sit down and write about where I come from? I love where I come from! Still . . . I haven’t written that post yet.

What does the word ROOTS say to you?

12 Comments Roots. {Five Minute Friday}

1. Mary @ Giving Up on Perfect November 5, 2012 at 9:18 am

Thanks, Jennifer! I’ll try to write it soon!

1. Amy November 2, 2012 at 10:43 am

Oh, I love those “Where I’m From” posts. Hope you do it!

1. Mary @ Giving Up on Perfect November 5, 2012 at 9:18 am

I kind of have to now, don’t I? ;)

2. Amy Tilson November 2, 2012 at 1:59 pm

Now I’m intrigued and want very much for you to write that exact thing. I was so glad to meet you this weekend. it was nice to put a voice with that passing face and name in this bloggy and twittery world. BTW – where I come from is what I wrote about today. Excellent use of the stall tactic, too. I’m quite proficient at that one myself.

1. Mary @ Giving Up on Perfect November 5, 2012 at 9:17 am

It was great to meet you last weekend, too, Amy!

3. Kristie November 2, 2012 at 9:32 pm

I’ve yet to see one of those “where I come from” posts. I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t be very good at coming up with what to write for that, though, either :)

4. Calypso November 3, 2012 at 8:57 pm

Looks like we were on the same wavelength!

1. Mary @ Giving Up on Perfect November 5, 2012 at 9:08 am

Oooh, thanks, I’m going to read it right now!

5. Explore Colorado November 5, 2012 at 1:29 pm

Procrastination is my middle name. Five minute Fridays sound like the perfect solution for bloggy procrastination. Roots can now go back into your to do list for a more detailed post later. :)