Monday Morning Mmmm: Snickerdoodle Bread

Recipe for Snickerdoodle Bread

Remember the snickerdoodle cake? If you haven’t tried it, you should. It is so good that my friend Erin and I have debated whether or not it’s appropriate to eat snickerdoodle cake for breakfast.

I know. Of course it isn’t! And if you don’t think I said that immediately, well, then I guess you know me pretty well. *sigh*

Not to worry! I found a solution. Are you ready for this? Snickerdoodle Bread. Bread, which (as it happens) you can make into muffins, which are a Perfectly Respectable Breakfast Food.

Of course the funny part of this whole snickerdoodle situation is that I made one loaf and a dozen muffins – and the bread turned out way better. I forgot to set the timer for the last few minutes of the muffins baking, and I left them in the oven too long. They didn’t burn but they were practically impossible to get out of the pan. Exhibit A:

Snickerdoodle Muffins

Now, before you ask, of course that fork was just there to pry the delicious, slightly overcooked muffins out of the pan. Of course I wasn’t using it to scoop muffin parts out of the pan and eat them standing at the stove.

Don’t judge me.

Luckily, I baked the loaf of bread to snickerdoodle perfection. And it, as it happens, was a perfectly delightful dessert on the evening I made it.

When did bread stop being bread? Never mind. Don’t answer that. Because honestly, I don’t even care. Bread for breakfast, dessert, midday snack – it’s all good, if you ask me. (And no, I don’t need you to remind me of my ridiculously short-lived attempt at eating fewer carbs several months ago. No, I don’t.)

Snickerdoodle Bread sliced

2 tsp vanilla
1 cup sour cream
1 package cinnamon chips
1 tbsp flour

2 tbsp sugar
2 tsp cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350°. Spray two loaf pans (or two muffin pans or four mini loaf pans or, well, you get the picture).
Mix together butter, sugar, salt and cinnamon. Add eggs, vanilla and sour cream, and mix well. In a separate bowl, combine flour and baking powder. Add flour mixture and cinnamon chips to batter. [The original recipe said to coat the cinnamon chips with a tablespoon of flour. I didn’t, and it turned out just fine.]

Pour the batter in the two pans (or four or whatever). Combine the sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl and sprinkle it over each loaf. Bake 15-20 minutes for muffins, 35-40 minutes for mini loaves and 60-70 minutes for full-size loaves (or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean).

How do you feel about bread? Good breakfast food? What about dessert? Midday snack?

This post will be linked to Mouthwatering Monday, Tasty Tuesday, Tuesdays at the Table, Tempt My Tummy Tuesday, 33 Shades of Green, Sweet Tooth Friday, I’m Lovin’ It and Foodie Friday. It will also be linked to Ingredient Spotlight at Eat at Home Cooks.

40 Comments Monday Morning Mmmm: Snickerdoodle Bread

1. Mindy December 5, 2011 at 1:11 pm

Since I am in love with the Snickerdoodle Cake (and so is everyone else who has tried it!) this is definitely being printed out possibly baked this week!!

1. Mary @ Giving Up on Perfect December 10, 2011 at 9:37 pm

Well, it’s bread, so it’s not quite as good. :) But a close second for sure!

2. Laura @ Gluten Free Pantry December 5, 2011 at 5:54 pm

Ahh I love snickerdoodle. I am going to have to try this with GF Flour. Looks delicious!

1. Mary @ Giving Up on Perfect December 10, 2011 at 9:36 pm

Yay! I hope your GF bread turns out great!

3. Katie December 6, 2011 at 2:40 pm

That looks amazing! My husband is going to love this!! Thanks for sharing!
    Stopping by from Tasty Tuesday.

1. Mary @ Giving Up on Perfect December 10, 2011 at 9:35 pm

Thanks for stopping by, Katie. I hope you and your husband love this bread!!

4. Claire December 6, 2011 at 3:03 pm

I just found this on Pinterest todoy! OH, MY! My family of 8 will gobble this up for sure!

1. Mary @ Giving Up on Perfect December 10, 2011 at 9:35 pm

Family of 8? You’d better double this recipe! :)

1. Robin ~ PENSIEVE December 9, 2011 at 7:36 am

Holy Toledo. What SHE said!

2. Mary @ Giving Up on Perfect December 10, 2011 at 9:33 pm

I take it back, I take it back! This bread was awful! (um…not?!)

5. Pingback: Bread by sweets & treats - Pearltrees

6. Susan Wachtel December 10, 2011 at 12:16 am

Yummy…looks very tasty. I will have to give this a try. Thank you for sharing.

7. Rachel Harder (Willow Rose) December 12, 2011 at 9:38 am

Oh my goodness. Thanks for sharing this recipe! I made it last night. AWESOME!!!!! It turned out great and I halved the recipe because I didn’t have enough sour cream on hand.

1. Mary @ Giving Up on Perfect December 28, 2011 at 9:06 am

Yay! Glad you liked it!

8. Sherree December 12, 2011 at 8:15 pm

Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and of course Sunday. What day did I leave out, NONE. I think that I would enjoy eating this anyday, at any moment . Forget the carbs.

1. Mary @ Giving Up on Perfect December 28, 2011 at 9:05 am

Haha! I hope you get a chance to fix this bread soon, Sherree!

9. Willa@ArmstrongFamilyFare December 13, 2011 at 10:45 am

Ok, this looks amazing!! I think our family would love this recipe!

Thanks for sharing!

1. Mary @ Giving Up on Perfect December 28, 2011 at 9:04 am

I hope your family (and you) enjoys the bread!

10. Beverly @ The Buzz December 18, 2011 at 1:51 pm

Love snickerdoodles! But am way too lazy to make them into cookies. Thanks for sharing this! Years ago, I used to make the dough for snickerdoodles, then put it into a pan and bake them like brownies. Timing was tricky, but worth it!

1. Mary @ Giving Up on Perfect December 28, 2011 at 8:56 am

Mmmmm…snickerdoodle bars sound good!

11. Pingback: Monday Morning Mmmm :: Best of 2011 — Giving Up on Perfect

12. mindy January 26, 2012 at 4:16 pm

Mary – I baked these as muffins this morning…delicious! Also good with a “schmear” of cream cheese icing! ;)

1. Mary @ Giving Up on Perfect February 1, 2012 at 11:17 am

Ooooh, good! I’m glad you liked it – and oh my, adding icing? YUM.

13. Barbara @ Barbara Bakes February 3, 2012 at 7:14 am

I created this recipe for the Great American Bake Sale and it’s one of our favorites. Sorry your muffins didn’t turn out well. Your bread looks scrumptious. I’m not sure I believe that fork is there to pry out the muffins ;)

1. Mary @ Giving Up on Perfect February 8, 2012 at 10:11 am

Haha! The food STARTED in there to pry out the muffin, then it was there for the photo and then…it was there to taste test! :)

1. Mary @ Giving Up on Perfect February 8, 2012 at 10:12 am

Oh shoot. I meant FORK. The FORK was in there. *sigh*

14. Pingback: Monday Morning Mmmm: 60+ Delicious Recipes — Giving Up on Perfect

15. Pingback: Bacondoodle… Bread!! | Shes and Apostrophes

16. Pingback: Bacondoodle | Shes and Apostrophes

17. Theresa March 13, 2013 at 9:58 pm

I can’t wait to make this bread! It looks divine!

18. redfly April 11, 2013 at 5:58 am

delicious :)

19. Anne October 14, 2013 at 1:20 pm

Your Snickerdoodle bread looks awesome! And I can actually make some this afternoon because I have all the ingredients…Yeah! Thanks for sharing!

1. Mary @ Giving Up on Perfect October 14, 2013 at 2:29 pm

Oooh, awesome. Enjoy it!

20. Melissa Kilzer November 17, 2013 at 7:14 pm

I have not been able to find cinnamon chips. Where do you get them?

1. Mary @ Giving Up on Perfect November 18, 2013 at 10:17 am

I found them in my grocery store with the chocolate chips – but I had to try a few grocery stores before I found them. Hershey makes them (although I’m sure other brands do, too) – and if you want a bunch of them, you can order them from Amazon. Good luck tracking some down. The bread really is worth it! :)

21. morgan January 9, 2014 at 12:54 am

Do you think I could leave out the cinnamon chips? I found a sub for the flour and the sugar but I cannot find one. I am on a keto diet, but I love snikerdoodles so much. Do they “make” the recipe??? Thanks

1. Mary @ Giving Up on Perfect January 9, 2014 at 10:31 am

Don’t tell…but the cinnamon chips are actually my least favorite part! So I think you could just add a bit more cinnamon and leave out the chips – and still have great bread! Good luck!!

22. Joanna @way2gomom March 22, 2014 at 6:58 pm

I must find a way to make this gluten free. Because snickerdoodles!!!!