Monday Morning Mmmm: Restaurant-Style Salsa

Recipe for Homemade Restaurant-Style Salsa

I have been wanting to try my hand at making salsa for a long time. [Ever since coming up with the idea for a salsa-tasting class/party/business/whathaveyou.] The problem? My lack of food processor. Or blender. Or other choppy type appliance.

So when my friend Michelle [who just so happened to have recently purchased a blender] and I started planning a Mexican dinner, I immediately offered to make the salsa.

Because I’m a giver. [Seriously! I am! I even made pico de gallo, too – just in case the salsa wasn’t good! Giver!]

I considered three different recipes – albeit, three different recipes that were fairly similar – and in the end, I went with the Pioneer Woman.

Recipe for Homemade Restaurant-Style Salsa

Homemade Restaurant-Style Salsa

• 1 can (28-ounce) whole tomatoes with juice
  • 2 cans (10-ounce) Ro-tel (diced tomatoes and green chilies)
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion
  • 1 clove garlic, minced (or one tsp minced garlic from a jar)
  • 1 whole jalapeno, quartered and sliced thin
  • 1/4 teaspoon sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/2 cup cilantro
  • 1/2 whole lime juice

Chop everything up (except the canned tomatoes. And the lime juice. And the seasonings.). Put it in a really big blender (bigger than Michelle’s 6-cup blender, just so you know) and pulse. I prefer my salsa a little chunkier than mine turned out. That could be due to my lack of blender inexperience. Or you might consider draining the Ro-tel before dumping it into the blender. Your choice.

Be forewarned: This recipe makes a LOT of salsa. I couldn’t stop laughing at the enormous bowl of it on the table. It just looked so . . . ridiculous. And delicious!

So good, in fact, that I couldn’t keep other people’s hands out of my picture:

Have you ever made your own salsa? What kind [of salsa – duh!] do you like best?

This post will be linked to Mouthwatering Monday, Tasty Tuesday, Tuesdays at the Table, Tempt My Tummy Tuesday, 33 Shades of Green and Foodie Friday. It will also be linked to Ingredient Spotlight at Eat at Home.

photo UHeB-443x443_zpse5c4c396.png

36 Comments Monday Morning Mmmm: Restaurant-Style Salsa

1. Tiffany July 25, 2011 at 6:18 am

That looks wonderful. I don’t have a food processor either. And this is probably a good time to admit that I’ve never cooked with fresh jalepeno. I have a strange fear. Probably need to conquer that.

1. Mary @ Giving Up on Perfect August 3, 2011 at 9:03 pm

This was the first time I’d used a fresh jalapeno, and I was really nervous! I kept telling myself, “Don’t touch your eyes! Don’t touch your eyes!” Haha! I didn’t actually have any problems with the heat at all.

2. Becky July 25, 2011 at 8:44 am

I haven’t yet but now I want to make it! Salsa is the one thing I could eat every. single. day. of my life! :)

1. Mary @ Giving Up on Perfect August 3, 2011 at 8:59 pm

Me, too – and the one HEALTHY food that I can’t get enough of!

3. Melissa Brotherton July 25, 2011 at 10:06 am

I feel like you can never go wrong with a Pioneer Woman recipe. :) That looks fantastic, Mary! Thanks for sharing it.

My favorite kind of salsa is from Safeway (Vons in some places). It’s their Safeway Select Southwest Salsa (say that 4 times fast), and it has black beans and corn in it. Mmm! :)

1. Mary @ Giving Up on Perfect August 3, 2011 at 8:59 pm

I have gone wrong with a PW recipe. But just one. ;)

4. Alana July 25, 2011 at 1:05 pm

YUMMY!!! That looks delicious!

1. Mary @ Giving Up on Perfect August 3, 2011 at 8:58 pm

Thanks, Alana!

5. chelleybutton July 25, 2011 at 5:12 pm

It looks just like an authentic Mexican restaurant’s. I look forward to trying it someday! :)

1. Mary @ Giving Up on Perfect August 3, 2011 at 8:58 pm

I will fix it for you as soon as you can eat it!

1. Mary @ Giving Up on Perfect August 3, 2011 at 8:58 pm

Thanks, Lisa!

6. Melinda July 26, 2011 at 11:14 am

Love how the fingers keep getting in the picture!

1. Mary @ Giving Up on Perfect August 3, 2011 at 8:58 pm

That would be my friend, Cory. He thought he was SO funny! ;)

1. Mary @ Giving Up on Perfect August 3, 2011 at 8:58 pm

Let me know how it turns out!

7. Amanda @ Mommy's Idea Book July 26, 2011 at 10:26 pm

This looks really good and easy! I’ve always wanted to make my own salsa. I think this might be the recipe to try. Thanks for the recipe!

1. Mary @ Giving Up on Perfect August 3, 2011 at 8:57 pm

It really WAS easy! Give it a try!!

8. Jamie July 27, 2011 at 5:15 am

Thanks for sharing this one – I’ve tried making salsa in the past, but wasn’t impressed with the particular recipe I tried. I’ll definitely try this one instead!

1. Mary @ Giving Up on Perfect August 3, 2011 at 8:56 pm

I hope it turns out great for you!!

9. QuatroMama July 27, 2011 at 11:12 am

Oh Mary – next time we are together Mexican cuisine is a MUST.

1. Mary @ Giving Up on Perfect August 3, 2011 at 8:56 pm

You got it, sister!

10. Lisa @ Stop and Smell the Chocolates July 31, 2011 at 1:57 am

Looks so yummy! I really do need to try making salsa because I love it. And this recipe sounds good – gotta have the cilantro in there – yum!

1. Mary @ Giving Up on Perfect August 3, 2011 at 8:56 pm

I’ve heard that either you love cilantro or hate it. I’d say I’m a little more in between, but it did make this salsa!

11. Pingback: When I Dip You Dip We Dip — Giving Up on Perfect

12. Pingback: Monday Morning Mmmm: Banana Berry Smoothie — Giving Up on Perfect

13. Pingback: Monday Morning Mmmm: Baked Chicken Taquitos — Giving Up on Perfect

14. Pingback: Monday Morning Mmmm: 60+ Delicious Recipes — Giving Up on Perfect

15. Pingback: Weekend Links, 5.5.12 — Giving Up on Perfect

16. Becky August 16, 2012 at 10:54 am

Im looking the recipe for the Jose Peppers salsa…do have that one?

1. Mary @ Giving Up on Perfect August 27, 2012 at 3:13 pm

Becky, I can’t remember if I answered you in an email or not. I love Jose Peppers’ salsa but don’t have the recipe. I’d suggest searching on Pinterest. Good luck!

2. Liz January 15, 2014 at 11:50 am

Becky, I am looking for that recipe too!! I may be biased but the salsa in Houston isn’t as good as Jose Peppers/Cactus Grill’s recipe!! Did you ever find it??

17. Pingback: 80+ Delicious Recipes for a Mexican Fiesta — Giving Up on Perfect

18. Pingback: 70+ Appetizer Recipes to Make Any Party a Hit — Giving Up on Perfect

19. Dalia June 19, 2015 at 5:50 pm

Can I freeze this salsa if not how long can it be stored in the fridge

1. Mary @ Giving Up on Perfect June 20, 2015 at 10:30 pm

Hi Dalia! I don’t know if you can freeze it, but when I’ve made it I’ve only kept it in the fridge for a few days. The original recipe is from the Pioneer Woman, and you might find some info in the comments. Here’s that post: http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2010/01/restaurant-style-salsa/