Monday Morning Mmmm: Mini Chocolate Chips

A couple weeks ago I decided to make chocolate chip pumpkin bread. It’s really a winter-y food, but it’s also a tasty one, so we tracked down a can of pumpkin and got to cooking.

Every other time we made the bread, I used regular chocolate chips, but this time I bought mini chocolate chips. What is it about tiny things? Those itty bitty chips are just about the cutest thing ever seen inside my kitchen! (Well, you know, except for this.)

The mini chips were perfect for making mini muffins in place of one of the three loaves of bread (and a great preschool teacher gift – minus the three that I popped into my mouth before they were even cool!). But after making the bread, I still had about a cup of chips left.

What to do, what to do?

I looked up recipes using mini chocolate chips and ohhhh, did I find some delicious-looking treats!

On a weekend full of laundry, taxes and a little girl with strep throat, I wasn’t up for any elaborate baking. So I picked the easiest of the new recipes: chocolate rice krispy treats. Add 1/4 cup of cocoa, a teaspoon of vanilla and a cup of mini chocolate chips to your regular rice krispy treats – and hope for the best. Mine turned out a bit dry (thanks to the cocoa, I assume) and overly cocoa-y.

In other words, I’ll be buying more mini chips and trying some of these other recipes soon!

Do you like tiny foods? You know, like mini muffins, mini quiches or (my new favorite) mini chocolate chips?

This post will be linked to Mouthwatering Monday, Tasty Tuesday, Tuesdays at the Table, Tempt My Tummy Tuesday, 33 Shades of Green, Sweet Tooth Friday, Foodie Friday, Friday Firsts and Food on Fridays.

16 Comments Monday Morning Mmmm: Mini Chocolate Chips

1. nikki May 9, 2011 at 8:53 am

I love mini food items as well…I feel like I’m not being very bad by eating them (therefore, I eat way more than I should). I have a toffee bar recipe that calls for mini chocolate chips (AND sweetened condensed milk AND toffee chips…so delish). It’s a trifecta of sin.

1. Mary @ Giving Up on Perfect May 21, 2011 at 9:53 pm

Oh, my. That sounds SO GOOD!

2. Jennifer Young May 9, 2011 at 12:23 pm

I love the minis! I make a lot of mini muffins, and use mini chips there. Much better for kids imo, less waste when they decide they are done after two bites! I will also put them in pancakes. This is an amazing recipe with mini chips: http://stolenmomentscooking.com/chocolate-chip-almond-cookie-sticks/. Sort of like biscotti, but softer. Sooooo worth a bit of extra effort. They are one of the best cookies I’ve ever had. And, believe me, I’ve had TONS:)

1. Mary @ Giving Up on Perfect May 21, 2011 at 9:52 pm

Such a good point about not wasting as much with kids. Even the most fun and sweetest treats end up dumped in the trash when she gets tired of eating! (If only I could learn that lesson!)

3. Nony (A Slob Comes Clean) May 9, 2011 at 12:48 pm

I love mini stuff, but I end up eating way more than a mini-amount!

When skinny people recommend buying the tiny candy bars so you can “just get a taste” but not ruin your diet, I just smile and nod knowingly.

1. Mary @ Giving Up on Perfect May 21, 2011 at 9:51 pm

“Just get a taste.” Skinny people. Hmph!

4. Rachel May 9, 2011 at 2:23 pm

OK, all of that is just too much work. The way I eat mini-chocolate chips? Straight out of the bag! =)

1. Mary @ Giving Up on Perfect May 21, 2011 at 9:51 pm

Haha! I said the recipes looked good, but I did eat the rest of the mini chips – by the handful!

5. Shelly W. May 9, 2011 at 8:25 pm

I always make our favorite chocolate chip cookies with mini chips. I think it spreads out the chocolately flavor through the whole cookie better. Love those little things!

1. Mary @ Giving Up on Perfect May 21, 2011 at 9:49 pm

Evenly spread chocolate is a good thing!

6. Anne @ Modern Mrs Darcy May 10, 2011 at 10:23 am

Mmmmmmm those look good! I love tiny foods–anything bite size, especially if it’s finger-food too. Your list of recipes looks terrific, I especially love the sound of the truffles. Yum!

1. Mary @ Giving Up on Perfect May 21, 2011 at 9:48 pm

Bite-size and finger foods are good – usually not nearly as messy, which I love!

7. Elaine Pool May 10, 2011 at 8:20 pm

MANY times I’ve made chocolate-chip Rice Krispies treats, and I wait for them to cool in the bowl before adding the chips. That way, the chocolate doesn’t melt & make everything too chocolately (as if that were possible!!)

1. Mary @ Giving Up on Perfect May 21, 2011 at 9:41 pm

I think adding the chips – and not the cocoa – sounds good!

8. Allison @ Alli 'n Son May 13, 2011 at 10:44 am

I love anything chocolate, these recipes sound great. Although I have been known to eat chocolate chips by the handful, instead of baking with them. Oops. Thanks for linking up with Sweet Tooth Friday!

1. Mary @ Giving Up on Perfect May 21, 2011 at 9:25 pm

Yeah…I may have eaten a few handfuls of chocolate chips just yesterday. :)

Comments are closed.