Monday Morning Mmmm: Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies

After making Chinese lanterns with Annalyn for our Chinese New Year (and Superbowl) party, I’ve realized that I should do more holiday crafts with her. Much as I wish being a crafty, domestic mom came easily for me, it doesn’t. But my little girl loves working on “projects” with me.

(And thanks to my parents’ tendency to give the child gifts for every holiday, large and small, she also loves holidays. You may not be surprised to learn this presented a minor problem when President’s Day came and went without a gift bag.)

Anyway, when I started seeing green crafts and foods on the handful of crafty-type blogs I read, I began thinking perhaps I’d start this holiday craft business with St. Patrick’s Day. In other words, “find something to do for St. Patrick’s Day” has been on my to-do list for three weeks.

Thankfully, I stumbled across a recipe for green, minty chocolate chip cookies on the Betty Crocker Flickr stream. Annalyn loved turning the cookies green, and we both loved munching on a treat that tastes like Andes mints. (Seriously. YUM.)

St. Patrick's Day snack

“Irish” Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies

1 pouch Betty Crocker sugar cookie mix
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
1/4 teaspoon mint extract
green food coloring
1 egg
1 cup creme de menthe baking chips
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Mix together the cookie mix, butter, egg, extract and food coloring. (I think we added about 10-12 drops of the food coloring. I lost count when Little Miss YouKnowWho took her turn with the dropper.) Stir in the chips. Spoon dough onto cookie sheet and bake for 8 minutes. Yields four dozen cookies.

We bagged up three-fourths of the cookies for friends and devoured the other dozen in about a day! And just look at that face. I’m pretty sure our holiday “project” was a hit!

Do you celebrate all the holidays, large and small? Will you celebrate St. Patrick’s Day this week? And what about mint chocolate chip – good idea or no? (Mark doesn’t like mint, so Annalyn and I had the cookies all to ourselves!)

This post will be linked to Mouthwatering Monday, Tasty Tuesday, Tuesdays at the Table, Tempt My Tummy Tuesday, 33 Shades of Green, Foodie Friday, Friday Firsts, Sweet Tooth Friday and Food on Fridays. It will also be linked to Ingredient Spotlight at Eat at Home Cooks.

25 Comments Monday Morning Mmmm: Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies

1. Messy Mom March 13, 2011 at 11:55 pm

We do celebrate quite a few and much like you it is thanks to the gifts. Sedona got a St. Patrick’s day dress from her aunt so we may not do anything, but she will be dressed for the occasion, go figure.

2. Melissa@ Simply Mel March 14, 2011 at 8:43 am

Those look really good! Yum! We never really do anything for St. Patrick’s day since we’re not Irish. If this wasn’t my last full week of being pregnant and I was tired and getting things ready for next week I’d probably do something “green” for our homeschooling time. But we’re bare bones right now when it comes to school. Like Phonics and Reading work and that’s it!

Since I’m writing a recipe post today I’m totally following in your footsteps and linking up to some of the memes you mentioned since I didn’t know of any!

And btw, I loved the cheesy chicken recipe. I can see how onions WOULD make it better. My hubby thought it was too cheesy, though. He’s oddly enough not a huge cheddar fan. He scraped a lot of it off. I even made chicken salad with some of it with the cheese still on it and everything! It was good!

3. Rochelle March 14, 2011 at 11:05 am

Wow, I totally need to try these, thanks!!!!! :)

4. Amy March 14, 2011 at 1:04 pm

Mint Chocolate Chip – Yes, absolutely.
    And as for celebrating the holidays – this is something that COMPLETELY STRESSES ME OUT. Think I’ll write a post about it. But the gist of it is…I stand no chance of living up to the expectations placed on me by my ENFJ personality and Family Fun Magazine.

5. Becky March 14, 2011 at 2:02 pm

These look very yummy! I have to admit when I first saw the picture I thought it was some sort of hotdog cookie :) My little boys love helping in the kitchen too, I just have to remember to be patient enough to let them.

6. Roz March 14, 2011 at 3:17 pm

Hi Mary, you are SUCH a fun Mom!!!! Lucky Annalyn. Thanks for sharing this great green idea. Have a good day.

7. Rachel March 14, 2011 at 4:50 pm

I love using Andes mints in cookies and brownies! YUM.

SUCH a cute recipe!!! love!

8. Leigh March 14, 2011 at 5:55 pm

St. Patrick’s Day is my favorite holiday, though I’m only Irish at heart. I was sad to learn there are no Shamrock Shakes sold in TN so I whipped up my own version over the weekend. I now feel I can appropriately celebrate!

9. Shelly W. March 14, 2011 at 6:42 pm

Oh my gosh, these look GREAT!! Yum!

10. Allison @ Alli 'n Son March 14, 2011 at 10:07 pm

Yum. Green cookies are so fun!

Will you stop by on Friday and link up with Sweet Tooth Friday?

11. Amber March 14, 2011 at 11:10 pm

Oooo I’d love those cookies. We really don’t do anything for St. Patrick’s Day but I’d love these!

12. Sarah March 15, 2011 at 1:36 pm

Just made these and holy cow they are delicious!!!!

13. James March 15, 2011 at 2:47 pm

Simply put: mint chocolate ANYTHING is a waste of chocolate. But the green is super cute!

1. Mary @ Giving Up on Perfect March 15, 2011 at 3:40 pm

I know. That’s pretty much what Mark thought. I’m not a HUGE mint person, so for me, it was just enough deterrent to keep me from eating them all in one sitting. Which, you know, is a good thing. :)

14. vanessa March 15, 2011 at 3:21 pm

Wow! Amazing, I love mint! I also love baking with lil girls, dont you:? Mine is 5 and just adores baking

15. nicole March 15, 2011 at 9:54 pm

The Cosby Show of course. Friends in college. I used to watch MacGyver with my dad. Saved by the Bell. And lots of sports.

16. Amanda D March 16, 2011 at 9:38 am

OOh, I think I’ll make these for my cub scouts tomorrow. Thanks for the recipe!

17. Ott, A March 16, 2011 at 6:28 pm

Just Stopping by from TMTT. I love the combination of mint and chocolate. I wanted to invite you to check out my Iron Chef Challenge This month’s themed ingredient is canned tomatoes, so link up a recipe using those and you could win a prize. It should be a lot of fun, hope you can join us!!

18. Rhondi March 17, 2011 at 2:12 pm

Yummy! Chocolate and mint are so perfect together. I’m visiting from This Weeks Cravings.

19. Amanda D March 18, 2011 at 9:25 am

I made these yesterday! They were excellent. I used a ton of green coloring so they were bright green and I added extra mint extract. I loved them! So did the cub scouts. :)

20. Tiffany March 7, 2012 at 11:40 am

I have no will power at all when it comes to any kind of chocolate chip cookie. Those look fabulous! Love the minty green.

21. Pingback: Ten St. Patty’s Day Treats — Just Jilly