Project: Become an Editor

Finally – a step forward in my journey to becoming an editor. I’m going to Nashville next month to visit some friends, and I’ve been hoping to set up an informational interview with someone at one of the four Christian publishing houses there. I e-mailed someone at my first choice, Thomas Nelson, but never heard back. (Boo!)

Then I read that my previous fourth choice, Abingdon Press, is developing a new fiction line. (Yay!) So, I contacted the editor in charge of that new department. And what do you know, but that woman e-mailed me back right away!

Unfortunately, she says she became an editor 30 years ago, so she wouldn’t be the best person to give me advice.

BUT, she told me about an online course that other editors have taken. AND, she referred me to a freelance company that might be able to help me get started in the industry. (BIG yay!!)

So, this goes back to my comments about a goal without a plan just being a wish. I’m trying to move forward and have a plan and actually DO this thing. But, it’s a slow process. And, I won’t deny, really scary. But, I’ve taken a step.

Next goal: sign up for that online course and contact the freelance company!

15 Comments Project: Become an Editor

1. amber September 4, 2008 at 9:56 pm

Kudos to you! I know this is something you’ve wanted for a long time and I’m glad that you’re able to take a big step in the direction of pursuing your dream! Keep me posted!

2. hobbitsister September 4, 2008 at 11:41 pm

that’s exciting! it’s so assuring when we can see pieces start to come together.

3. chelleybutton September 5, 2008 at 4:27 pm

Yay! I’ll be praying… (and don’t forget to keep me updated via chatting;)

4. chelleybutton September 5, 2008 at 4:28 pm

oh, & i'm glad to see you're ok & still alive! :) (i was really starting to miss you on here!)

5. photoqueen September 5, 2008 at 5:37 pm

Well, never fear, chelley dear. :) I’m alive and well…and I’ve got several more posts ready to rip!

(And thanks, everyone!)

6. chelleybutton September 5, 2008 at 6:25 pm

can’t wait! :)

7. hobbitsister September 5, 2008 at 6:29 pm

let me know when you become a world-famous editor. i might have something for you…

8. photoqueen September 5, 2008 at 7:30 pm

I’m not sure editors are ever world-famous, hobsis. I think we’re supposed to be behind the scenes and all. (But if I ever get even a smidgeon of influence, I’d be happy to push a HobSis project!)

9. melilotnfosco September 5, 2008 at 9:57 pm

that is so exciting! i hope it can work out for you.

10. melilotnfosco September 5, 2008 at 10:04 pm

oh! this reminds me! i found my personal mission statement right before i left for my retreat! it was interesting to read, interesting to see where i fall short, and interesting to see what i believe to be the purpose and aim of my life and what i should be striving for. basically it all boils down to this, ‘live for GOD’s glory.’ so simple.

11. photoqueen September 6, 2008 at 1:06 am

Mel, that’s awesome. I’m glad you found it and that you enjoyed reading it. When I’ve read things I wrote in when I was younger, I’ve ended up cringing a lot. :)

12. hobbitsister September 6, 2008 at 1:42 pm

i was going to say “sure, editors can be famous, look at _____”, but then i couldn’t think of any to fill in the blank.
    you could be the first famous one!

13. melilotnfosco September 8, 2008 at 12:25 am

a.j. jacobs

14. hobbitsister September 8, 2008 at 3:35 am

but jacobs is famous as an author, not as an editor

15. chelleybutton September 8, 2008 at 3:50 am